Another less explored place in Shivamogga is the backwaters of the Linganamakki dam across Sharavati River.
|Sharavathi river backwaters|
The backwaters is surrounded by Sharavati Valley Wildlife Sanctuary. There are Govt ferries which runs across the backwaters every 15-20 minutes which connects Sagar town to Sri Sigandur Chowdeshwari Temple.
|Ferry crossing at the dam backwaters|
|Deforestation at the cost of development|
Surprisingly the roads in entire Shivamogga district are in excellent condition and surrounded by greenery, it was a pleasure to drive.
Route and road conditions:
- Bengaluru-Davangere (NH4-Excellent 4/6 lane Toll road)
- Davangere-Malebennur-Shivamogga (Shimoga-Harihar-Hospet Rd - Statehighway, scenic road with some bad patches for some stretch till Honnali)
- Shivamogga-Sagar (NH206-wide and excellent road, without divider. Very scenic)
- Sagar-Sigandur-Sagar (good roads with some forest cover and a ferry passing)
- Sagar-Keladi-Gudavi-Soraba-Siralkoppa-Hirekerur-Rattihalli-Halageri-Chalageri,on NH4 (All roads in Shivamogga district are excellent with very less traffic)
- Chalageri,on NH4 -Bengaluru (NH4-after crossing Harihar road gets excellent with 4/6 lane Toll road)